Links of Interest to Pet Owners:
In addition to the Pet Health Care Library, we have provided the following links to websites that provide some great information on a variety of topics related to veterinary medicine and pet health care.
- The Companion Animal Parasite Council (CAPC) is a non-profit organization of veterinarians and parasitologists dedicated to protecting your family and your pets from parasites and zoonotic disease.
- Heartworm Society Everything you ever wanted to know about heartworm disease can be found here!
- Behavior & Training Founded by Brian Kilcommons and Sharon Wilson, best-selling authors and recognized experts on animal training and behavior, this site is a terrific resource for advice on a variety of behavioral problems. If you want to learn more about feline house-soiling, barking dogs, aggression, or any other behavioral problem, check this one out!
- Animal Poison Control (ASPCA) This is the website of the National Animal Poison Control Center. It includes a library, links to other sites, and phone numbers for the poison control center.
- The Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA) The Cat Fanciers' Association website has lots of pictures, as well as information on cat breeds, cat care, upcoming cat shows, and much more.
- Veterinary Education in the US This is a great link for anyone interested in exploring or planning for a career in veterinary medicine, with information on pre-veterinary education and veterinary colleges throughout the country.
- USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service The USDA maintains this website with information on a variety of animal health related topics, including the latest news on such things as Mad Cow Diseases, foot and mouth disease, and many other things.
- Frontline TopSpot by Merial Sponsored by the makers of Frontline Plus TopSpot for flea and tick control, this site has basic information about fleas and ticks as well as Frontline questions and answers.
- www.dogsandticks.com has a collection of information about ticks and the diseases they can carry, including Disease Prevalence Maps, Frequently Asked Questions, and specific disease topics.
- American Veterinary Medical Association This site is a good starting point to learn more about a variety of current topics in veterinary medicine
- American Association of Feline Practitioners The AAFP is like the American Medical Association for cat doctors, and has lots of good information regarding feline health issues.
- Feline Health Center (Cornell) The Feline Health Center at Cornell's College of Veterinary Medicine is an excellent source of information relating to cats and cat health, with articles on a wide range of Feline Health Topics. Or just enjoy some light-hearted moments on the Feline Fun pages.
- Partners in Animal Health - Cat Health (Cornell) is a collection of resources (including videos which can be viewed on-line, or purchased) about health topics ranging from caring for and medicating cats, to managing diseases such as diabetes, kidney disease, and cancer.
- Indoor Pet Initiative (Ohio State) is a site dedicated to animal care, health and wellness information, and behavioral issues of cats and dogs. There is special information about the influences of stress and stressors on feline urinary tract disease, and strategies for managing these issues.
- Hills Pet Nutrition is the industry leader in pet nutrition research. Specific information about their special Prescription Diet foods and the Science Diet line of foods is available here, along with information about the importance of proper nutrition in the management of pet health.
- OraVet Plaque Prevention Oral Gel provides this home-care kit demonstration video, as well as other pet dental health information.
- Purina Purina's site has general information about nutrition and care of dogs and cats.
- Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture Find information regarding animals and agriculture in Pennsylvania, and search for information about the Pennsylvania Dog Law.
- Pet Behavior Change, LLC, operated by Megan E. Maxwell, Ph.D. (Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist) provides behavior training and assistance to clients in central Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and western Maryland.
- Radiocat Centers for The Treatment of Feline Hyperthyroidism maintains a site with information regarding treatment of hyperthyroidism in cats with radio-iodine.
- Zoonotic Diseases The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC) maintains this site with information on diseases that are transmissible from animals to people (also known as "zoonotic diseases"). You may search for information by species of animal.
- Chimney Rocks Animal Rest, located in Hollidaysburg, PA, provides a range of cremation and burial services to pet owners, when end-of-life decisions are necessary. Their contact phone number is: (814) 695-2591.